Project Stage January 2022
Date of completion May 2022
Selwyn District Council will upgrade the intersection of Rolleston Drive and Tennyson Street, which will involve replacing the current roundabout with traffic signals.
The intersection upgrade includes replacing an existing water main and sewer main on Tennyson Street and also piping the remaining section of open water race on Tennyson Street, south of the intersection.
In addition, works include the upgrade of Rolleston Drive, west of Tennyson Street, up to Othello Drive. This upgrade is to change this section of Rolleston Drive to a lower speed environment on the approaches to the future town centre entrance and will include new planted median islands and paved footpaths.
Scope of Works:
The scope of this Contract is the construction of an upgrade to the current Tennyson Street and Rolleston Drive intersection in the township of Rolleston, including an upgrade extended up Rolleston Drive West.
The Contract Works are designed to allow the intersection to operate safely and efficiently with long-term growth in traffic volumes associated with the expected expansion of the township.
The Contract Works shall comprise of the following:
- Water main installation
- Wastewater renewals
- Stormwater construction
- Piping of stock-water races (and associated stock-water race reinstatement)
- Liaison with Utility Providers over their assets; protection of the assets during the works, installation and modification of services
- Installation of ducting/cabling
- Installation of street lighting and associated electrical supply
- Carriageway construction
- Construction of kerbs and channels
- Construction of paths, cycleways, footpath and vehicle crossings
- Construction of landscape areas, garden beds and trees
- Construction of traffic restraints/islands
- Construction of urban paved areas and exposed aggregate areas
- Installation of road marking and signage
- Installation of street furniture and pedestrian features
- Relocation of bus shelters and bins
- Traffic control, noise control, erosion and sediment control, set-out of works
- Installation of traffic signals
- Planting and new trees
- Maintenance Responsibilities
Important notes for businesses and residents
- Hours of work for the duration of this project will be from 7am – 6pm Monday through to Saturday, as well as some night shift work will be required from 6pm to 7am.
- Access to businesses will remain in place, should our work temporarily impact an entrance way, an alternative passage will be created and clearly marked for vehicles and pedestrians
- Access to residents’ driveways will be maintained where practical, any work planned across a resident’s driveway will be brief and at an agreed time
- Roadside parking will be impacted by our work for each active work site. We aim to keep work sites small and compact where possible, however if you have specific access requirements that we need to consider (e.g. nurse/doctor visits, Meals on Wheels, planned property works etc.), please advise our communications manager and we will do our best to accommodate these needs
- There will be increased noise, dust, and vibration levels as a result of our work
- Work will have no impact on current power, telecommunications or gas services; however, the network is still fragile so please be prepared in case there is an unexpected service cut off
- All site works are subject to favourable weather and on-site construction conditions
- Rubbish and recycling will not change, please put bins out in the usual spots by 5:00pm the night before collection, our crews will move and return them if need be
- Safety is our number one priority. Safety is also your responsibility too. Stay clear and stay alert, please keep children and pets a safe distance from any work site